Thursday, October 3, 2013

Old Man's War

This is not a story about Eve Online and pvp in Old Man Star.

This is about two secondhand books I bought this afternoon.
Last and First Man by Olaf Stapledon
Old Man's War by John Scalzi

I am about 100 pages into Old Man's War by now and hooked. It was mentioned as reminiscent of Heinlein's Starship Troopers and Joe Haldeman's Forever War and while I don't have Starship Troopers I do have 6 other Heinlein books and both Haldeman's Forever War and Forever Peace.
So far OMW is on track to be just as entertaining and engaging.

John Scalzi apparantly was a creative consultant for Stargate Universe. I own season 1 on DVD and seen the first six episodes. Stargate and Atlantis were more enjoyable more but perhaps the characters will grow a bit more likable over time.

Last and First Man has been named as an influential book by a lot by other writers so looking forward to that as well.

Other books I have recently read are:
Fate of Worlds by Larry Niven and Edward M. Lerner
The Hydrogen Sonata by Iain M. Banks
The Science of Discworld IV: Judgement Day by Terry Pratchett, Ian Stewart & Jack Cohen
Fluke, or, I Know Why the Winged Whale Sings by Christopher Moore
and Saga of the Pliocene Exile, a trilogy by Julian May

Back to OMW.

No comments:

Post a Comment